Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that corrects the misalignment of teeth and jaws. It is also called malocclusions.
Types of Orthodontic misalignments
Orthodontic misalignments include the following:
- Jaw growth problems
- Congenitally misalignments teeth
- Extra teeth
- Crowded or protruded teeth
Importance of Orthodontic treatment
Orthodontic treatment is not just about cosmetics and beautiful exterior appearance but all due to dental health reasons. Malocclusions can cause difficulty in chewing, biting and speaking but also putting stress on your gums tissues, jaw bones, and wearing away enamel. Crooked or overlapping teeth are difficult to clean and can pose risk for tooth decay and gum infections.
How do you know that you need Orthodontics?
- If you have any of the following, you definitely need orthodontic treatment
- Overbite – when front teeth stick out over the lower front teeth
- Under bite – when lower front teeth stick out over the upper front teeth
- Cross bite – when upper teeth do not come slightly forward than the lower teeth when biting normally
- Open bite – space between the front and side teeth when back teeth bite together
- Spacing – gaps or spaces resulting from missing teeth
- Crowding – too many teeth to accommodate in the mouth
- Misplaced midline – when center of upper front teeth do not line up with center of lower front teeth
Diagnosis dental procedures
- Medical and dental health history
- Clinical examination
- X-rays of the teeth and jaw
- Plaster models of the teeth